Update time, go play some modded OpenMW
Outlander, today drops another decent-sized update. Below are the details of what all has changed or been added:
- Added the CFG Generator, which will give you the right plugin load order based on the mods you select. Also expanded on how I determine the given load order on the "Load Order" page.
- Note that this does not currently warn you about or solve conflicts (save for one case, as a test), but that will be coming in the near future.
- Additionally, the data paths part of the cfg file is not produced, nor are any other parts of the file (such as weather values, UI, etc.) -- but this will be added in the near future. For now a list of used mods is provided, and their ordering is what the data path ordering should be.
- Added an enhanced user feedback form - this was inspired by comments from folks on the OpenMW forums who expressed a desire for a better way for users to submit information about a given mod. My hope is that this makes it easier for anyone to request a mod addition or update if they so desire.
- Removed Improved Telvanni Architecture from the recommended list. It had performance issues in larger cities, so I decided against using it.
- Added Quill of Feyfolken - Scroll Enchanting, which adds enchanted scroll making. Shout-out to kuyondo on the OpenMW forums for finding and recommending this one.
- Added Widescreen Alaisiagae Splash Screens, I've used it for a while but just forgot to have it featured.
- Added Welcome to the Arena and the required patched plugin for OpenMW. Many thanks to Luke for the great suggestion!
- Added Chargen Revamped - Expanded Lands as an alternative to Better Chargen. Another shout-out to Luke for this!
- Added City of Balmora - Hlaalu Expansion as an alternative to Kilcunda's Balmora -- this one seems like a must have for those of you from House Hlaalu! Thanks again to Luke for reminding me that this one was on the TODO list and looked awesome.
- Added Mines and Caverns. I've known about this one for a while but was hesitant to check it out for whatever reason. Props again to Luke for encouraging me to go for it!
- Added Wealth Within Measure and also corrected links and naming on The Cornerclub Scripts (TES3MP). Thanks a bunch to Texafornian for the recommendation and also for advising me on stuff that needed changing.
- Added a mention of the compatibility plugin for Uvirith's Legacy 3.5 and Rise of House Telvanni. This is another one I knew about and had, but had simply forgotten about in some mod shuffle. Thanks Luke for the reminder about this one!
- Updated Uvirith's Legacy 3.5 to mention that the included TR plugin is outdated, and added this which to be used instead. Thank you Luke for the heads up on this.
- Added the incompatible mod, Controlled Consumption. Thanks to Alex for requesting this, unfortunately the dependency on MWSE means it won't work for OpenMW - I've indicated this on the mod's detail page with a circle-slash icon and some hover text (like this: ), this will be present on any future incompatible mods that are added.
- Added notes to Septim Gold and Dwemer Dumacs that clarify the need to only edit one set of meshes for either it or the realistically stacked variant. Another big thanks goes out to Luke for reminding me about this, he's on fire with all the QA help!
- Added a tips page about setting the
OPENMW_PHYSICS_FPSenvironment variable, which may add noticeable performance gains.
- Added more TES3MP-specific content. Check out the category or the tag! Also make sure to check out the TES3MP patch for NCGD that I put together.
- Added a link to the Modding-OpenMW.com TES3MP server page -- modded multiplayer in Vvardenfell hosted by yours truly! Please bear in mind that the server is currently in open alpha, with only Linux clients available at the moment. It's pretty stable but I'm still working on a few balance and gameplay scripts for the server.
- Implemented buttons across the site. Gone are the old walls of text links, now replaced with walls of buttons!
- Added the TR Patcher tips page, which describes what the "TR Patcher" is, why you want to use it, and how to use it.
- Two new gameplay videos, Check them out!
- Several new pictures. Check them out!
- Added a note to the FAQ about rehosting content. This was prompted by an anonymous message I received asking me to do so.
- Each mod now has an "OpenMW Compatibility" rating, sort of an easy way to let you know how well a mod works. Bear in mind, partially working might still mean "fully working", just with some manual intervention like renaming a file or something like that. See this page for more information.
- The search bar now searches media (images, videos) and blog posts in addition to mods themselves. This should make it easier to not only find a particular mod, but also related images, videos, or news about it.
- Many other style changes and improvements throughout the site.
- A bunch of things that you the visitor will never notice (as usual, there's always a bunch of these kinds of changes.)
This update has turned out to be even more massive than the last one, which I thought was pretty huge. Over 25 issues closed in the site issue tracker, and more than 135 VCS commits to the site's codebase. My CI job count passed 400 yesterday!
Many thanks to all the folks who contacted me about recommendations, or just to chat. You all rock! Also: another very huge thanks to Ravenwing, Thunderforge, kuyondo, psi29a, and all other folks from the OpenMW forums for their suggestions and support!
Update: Added yet another gameplay video, for a total of two new ones!